Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Exercise

A couple weeks ago I realized that it was finally time to begin exercising regularly. So now I get up in the morning early enough to go for a jog before I begin the rest of my day. When I say jog, I mean brisk walk, though I do throw a little actual running in there.

The approach that I am using is to build up to more of a jog. In the past when I would decide to become a jogger, I would run too long without any preparation, hurt my leg/arms/eyes/elbows/ribs/etc., and then forget to keep running after laying on the couch for a week recovering from the pain. So the plan is to run a little bit longer each day--I do know that this is not a profound original concept, but this is the first time I am sticking with it.

One of my favorite things about this time is that I am able to listen to some good worship music while jogging. I am pleasantly surprised that this has become a great way to begin my day spiritually. It also allowed me to make a connection that I find useful for thinking about my relationship with God.

It should not be hard to live a spiritual life, but it really can be. I think that many of us come to times in our lives when we realize we need to rejuvenate our relationship with God. My typical response is to throw myself into some new spiritual discipline or commit to reading more, and, like my past exercise regimens, I burn out quickly because I expect the results to come a lot quicker.

The truth is that spiritual exercises are aptly named because they take commitment, dedication, and repetition to be effective. Becoming "in-shape" spiritually does not happen overnight, and we should not expect it to. It takes time to develop any relationship. People will not become saints overnight, and while becoming Billy Graham might be your goal, it will likely need to be a long-term goal.

Another connection that physical exercise has with spiritual exercises is that each person works out in different ways. Some people may do well with a morning devotional while others need to dive into books or commentaries. But, just like exercise, if you only do it for a few minutes a day, you will not see results. This is the problem with the emphasis on morning devotions or ten minutes with God at night. If I jog for 30 minutes in the morning, but eat McDonalds and Chick-fil-a milkshakes all day, then I won't be making any progress. What you put in, you will get out. This is especially true with our relationship with God. If we think that a few minutes each day will make much of a difference, we may be faced with some disappointment. Only when we have a seeking lifestyle will we effect change.

What is a seeking lifestyle? I don't know how it looks for you, but here is how it looks for me. I spend various parts of my day encountering sacred things. Sometimes it is music that reflects God. Sometimes it is listening to sermons on my iPod. Sometimes it is just practicing a sermon or Bible study lesson. Here is how you know that it is working: you encounter God throughout the day. This is manifest in more patience with a coworker. It is found in the conviction that comes when you begin to degrade another person. It is seen in the fact that you long for the next part of your day that you can spend with God. It takes time, but if I can get there, you can too.

1 comment:

kaw said...

Good call, Josh!

Kim Watkins